Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated

I've been conspicuously absent from my blog for the last few weeks. However, I have a very, very good reason.

Turns out building brain cells, phalanges, and tiny little arms and legs will take a lot out of you. I'm now in week 9, and hopefully will continue to feel better as the weeks go on, and I hit the Promised Land of second trimester, which I have been assured is way better than the first. I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel already, and am full of hope.

The time line, in a list, natch:

Monday, February 15 - My annual checkup and first visit with a new OB/GYN. I was already late, and wondered if we'd been successful. A quick test at the office came back negative, and the doctor told me to check again in a couple of weeks if I'd not had my visit from Aunt Irma, and to call her back if that one was negative.

Tuesday, February 16 - Fat Tuesday! Part of my birthday/Valentine's present from John was tickets to see Cowboy Mouth at House of Blues on Fat Tuesday. Although I wasn't sure at this point, I still avoided the alcohol, because I had this feeling. At any rate, it's best to be safe rather than sorry, right?

Sunday, February 21 - Aunt Irma still had not come to visit, and I had a dentist appointment on Tuesday, so I figured I'd better take a test to be on the safe side (I have some work to be done, and did not want to take an unnecessary risk, just in case.) That little plus sign showed up and everything changed.

Wednesday, February 24 - My first pregnancy appointment; we went over a more detailed medical history and scheduled the first ultrasound and blood work.

Friday, February 26 - I had not actually been physically sick, just nauseous and dealing with a dull headache, so I decided to try to continue on with my Emmaus weekend. Big mistake. Morning sickness really reared its ugly head (during Communion, no less) and the weekend was cut short.

Tuesday, March 9 - The first ultrasound. Our tiny little baby, heart pounding away, and the doctor pronounces him/her "perfect" and we start planning monthly appointments. John could not come to this appointment with me, so Dr. Zavala kindly printed off a couple of pictures for me to share with him. I visited the lab, got my first blood drawn, and high-tailed it back to work to show John our new little person. The Peanut, as he/she is currently being called, is healthy, right on track, and expected in mid-October (tentative due date is the 15th.)

I've dealt with a couple of weeks of pretty serious morning sickness, but am thankfully starting to feel better, and my next appointment is April 5th. We're going to visit my folks back home the next weekend, and I'm really excited to share this with my mom and Zane in person.

In the meantime, we'll have to find a larger place to live, and there is a lot of preparation to be done. We're so blessed to have each other, and this new little person has already changed our lives in a lot of ways... all for the better. I cannot wait to meet him or her in just a few short months!